Thursday, February 07, 2008

tastes like chicken

For lent - I've given up meat.

This is going to be difficult for me. I didn't realize how much meat I actually eat, but almost everything has some meat in it.

Christie - thanks for the information - that's part of the reason I made the decision to do this -

"Producing 2.2lb of beef generates as much greenhouse gas as driving a car non-stop for three hours, it was claimed yesterday. Japanese scientists used a range of data to calculate the environmental impact of a single purchase of beef. Taking into account all the processes involved, they said, four average sized steaks generated greenhouse gases with a warming potential equivalent to 80.25lb of carbon dioxide. gas pump
This also consumed 169 megajoules of energy. That means that 2.2lb of beef is responsible for greenhouse gas emissions which have the same effect as the carbon dioxide released by an ordinary car travelling at 50 miles per hour for 155 miles, a journey lasting three hours."

Here's a link to the place I got the above info. They have several articles substantiating the details about meat & how not eating it will help save our ozone. Crazy stuff!

When I do this - I'll also be thinking of and praying for various countries around the world where lack of food is a problem. How can people starve while the West gets fat? It's so sad. This will be challenging and humbling for me for sure!

3 comments:

Christie said...

Very good stuff. However, no one is going to believe me anymore when I say I don't try to make people vegetarian! Haha.

If you need any meal ideas, I've got a billion.

Mandy @ mintnclandycreate said...

Ha! Don't worry - I practiced free will on this one! ;)

This decision came for a number of reasons, your input was just the tipping point.

I'm excited about it!

Anonymous said...

Sorry if I commented your blog, but you have a nice idea.