Thursday, June 05, 2008

Green Thumb - 1 - Planting seeds - 12MAR08


This year I'm attempting a garden. Clint made me a great raised bed & I'm attempting to grow a variety of veggies organically. So far, so good. I'll include pictures & keep you updated on my progress & any learning experiences I might have.

I started a few vegetables from seed (Tomatoes, Red Bell Peppers, Green Bell Peppers, Cliantro, Basil) around March 12, 2008, before the last frost in mid April. I was told that April 15th was a pretty safe date to begin planting in OK, so I decided to wait until the weekend following Jonas' birthday to begin. (Tomatoes, Red Bell Peppers, Green Bell Peppers, Cliantro, Basil)
I put the seeds in these containers & left the lids on until they started sprouting. After sprouts formed I opened the lids, but I kept the plants inside & moved them to a sunny location. This process took about 2 weeks. These pictures were taken around March 24th, 2008.

A few weeks later, I took the plants outside to our shed. We put a timed light on them. Some of the plants got too spindly and didn't make it. I regularly watered the plants in the shed & checked on them.

About 2 weeks before transplanting the plants to the ground, I took them outside for varying amounts of time to get them accustomed to the weather & sun. The books I checked out from the library recommended doing this to prevent "hardening off" - where plants die when introduced to the outdoors.

Around mid-April I began transplanting these plants to my garden.

Stay tuned for more!!!!

No comments: